Paint It Black

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I've mentioned a couple of times that I've been working on some projects for a while. The time has come for unveiling! Our house has one tiny bathroom and it is totally not condusive to more than one person using the mirror at a time. What's a girl to do when she needs to put her make up on and her husband needs to shave? Answer: have a separate vanity.

We (okay, I) decided we would use my desk in our office for L's computer, so that left us with an extra desk and nowhere to put it. I decided we'd give it a home in our bedroom after giving it a paint job and replacing the knobs. Here's what we started with, and please pretend like that missing drawer is in it's place. I forgot to take the pic before I sanded and primed it:


This is after everything was primed.


And the end result:


I'm not totally sold on those knobs, but they were incredibly affordable at 4 for $14 at Target. This project was supposed to be an exercise in cost effectiveness, and while it wasn't expensive, it did require a quart of paint, a quart of primer, sandpaper, and three new paint brushes of various widths, angles, and bristle type. That ended up costing somewhere around $40 total. I also found some fabulous knobs at Anthropologie and I did end up purchasing them, but since L balked at the $14.99 price tag for 4 knobs on Saturday at Target (we often find he has no idea what things cost. Same thing has happened when shopping for rugs and lamps), I think he would have vomited if he knew I'd paid $12 for EACH knob from Anthro. So those have to go back. The other Anthro knobs were fun, but as I continue to learn, when you're sharing money, sometimes husbands don't appreciate random purchases like that.

Next up: finding a stool or chair for my little vanity and a lamp, and then we'll be finished!

Comments

No response to “Paint It Black”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger