Turn the Page

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I read a lot.  There's rarely a time when I'm not reading something, and actually I'm almost always re-reading something while I'm reading something new (which is exactly the case at this very moment... I'm actually 80% of the way through re-reading Bergdorff Blondes, 60% of the way through re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and I am in the midst of deciding on my next new book to read).  Our Labor Day weekend was the best I could have asked for: filled with absolutely no responsibilities, plans, or obligations.  We thought at one point we'd perhaps go visit friends in Philadelphia, but ended up just staying here and while I really want to make it to Philadelphia sometime soon, I'm so glad we stayed here. We haven't had 3 days of with nothing scheduled to fill them in years. Seriously, maybe not since we were dating.

Anyway, amongst other things, I decided to hit up a pool in Clarendon on Saturday while L played golf.  It was a little rainy when I got there, so I hit up Barnes and Noble while I waited for the drizzling to pass.  After browsing for all of 3 minutes, I picked up a book because I liked the cover and tried to decipher the plot line by reading the back cover.  No luck.  The fly pages were filled with reviews, but I still couldn't figure out what the plot was, so I just opened the book up and read the first four pages.  I was hooked and immediately knew I that one was going home with me.  After killing another half hour or so, I headed to the pool and immediately continued reading where I'd left off in the book store.  I took two five minute breaks to use the restroom; an hour break to talk to Champagne and Sprinkles; and another half hour to drive home, change clothes, and catch up with L on the day's events.  I finished the book before the LSU game started that night.  The book was that. good.  What book was it?
 

Seriously, I can't stress enough how good this was.  I can't wait to give it to my parents and sister to read.  It's just so well-written.  I'm also craving a dog now, but we'll see... we have hesitations surrounding that at the present time.  But we know it's coming some day.  ANYWAY, I cannot recommend this book enough.  It's just so fantastic.  Especially if you're an animal lover (particularly in regards to dogs).

Other recent good reads include:


 Bossypants



and Gone With the Wind.  It took me like 3 months to finish GWTW because it's so long (specifically 1100 pages, if you have the version pictured above.  There are shorter versions, but it's only due do page layout and font size.  Regardless, it's amazing and one of the best books I've read; READ IT if you haven't. Far, far better than the movie, which is wonderful.)

I find myself in a quandary now.  What do I read next??  Send any suggestions my way, por favor.  I didn't expect to finish Racing in the Rain so quickly so I don't have any ideas yet.  Help!

Comments

No response to “Turn the Page”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger