Thursday, September 8, 2011

As I mentioned earlier in the week, L and I went to a Big 12 Kickoff event two weekends ago with a fellow Aggie friend of mine and her boyfriend. We ended up sitting at a random Baylor table because the A&M table was already at capacity (in case you’re wondering, A&M definitely had the highest turnout) and also because it was a table for four and no one was sitting there. It worked out nicely since there were four of us and we could say we were legit because we had L with us. ANYWAY. The whole point of the event was to get excited about football season and for the groups from each school to sing their fight song or school song (mortifying, btw*). My friends and I were using it as an excuse for something to do and to possibly find out if there are other friends up here that we weren’t already aware of.

I’ve also mentioned several times on here that I’ve been on quite a few friend dates since moving up here. L, on the other hand, does not friend date on his own, or at least he hasn’t thus far. There’s a small possibility that he may have gone on a few FDs prior to me moving up here, but I feel like I’d remember them. Maybe not, though. So getting back to the point. Lots of Baylor people stopped by to introduce themselves since we were at one of their tables and of course they all focused in on L when they realized he was the only BU grad with us. Although he probably wouldn’t admit it, he seemed a little… um… energized? to meet some new Baylor enthusiasts once we were there. One guy came over later in the evening and told L he recognized him but couldn’t place him. They talked for a while and realized they have a lot of mutual friends. Imagine my surprise when I turned around later on and found them exchanging cards and what sounded like plans for the following weekend to watch the first football game together at the same bar.  I was quite surprised because L definitely went into the evening very begrudgingly and very much like, "I'm doing this with you because I know want to do it."  When I heard L making plans with the new guy (who shall hence forth be referred to as Mr. Snuggie), I was determined to see them through.

Fast forward a few days and L started feeling the tingles of excitement that the first weekend of college football bring each year.  I knew the Baylor game was to be held on Friday night so I started asking L what he wanted to do and where he wanted to watch it.  He was a little cagey about it and wouldn't commit... but I gently persisted and asked him if he was going to call Mr. Snuggie.  I was informed that L might need to have a private viewing of the game since he didn't know what to expect from his team (he's very emotional when he watches his Bears; the highs are very high and the lows are very low) and he didn't want to scare people if things went poorly.  And then I got some news on Thursday night!  An excerpt from a gchat conversation with Champagne and Sprinkles:

me: okay something funny


that is kind of a big deal

is that one of the baylor guys L met last week emailed L to see if he wants to meet up and watch the game tonight

they exchanged cards last week

L was being all like "meh" about it last night

and i was like, "NO, WE ARE GOING!"

that guy is not good at friend dating

Champagne & Sprinkles: hahaha

me: ("that guy" is L)

and this is totally a friend date
 
 
THAT'S RIGHT, L was totally asked out on a friend ate!  And by someone so normal!  I was excited.  I want L to have more guy friends here and it's always nice when you get asked on the friend date and don't have to do the asking.  Obviously we went and watched the game with Mr. Snuggie.  I had to put up with A LOT of trash talk about A&M (the majority of which came from Mr. Snuggie... who mistakenly thought I went to UT... and didn't realize his mistake until well into the 3rd quarter because someone was extra classy and held her tongue and close-mouth smiled through all the insults), which was so lame and annoying.  Especially since Mr. Snuggie is from California.  It's not like his whole family went to various other Texas schools and therefore he grew up with lots of animosity or rivalry towards A&M.  His is all built up from his time at Baylor.  Ridic?  I think so!  I thoroughly enjoyed the backpedalling that occurred when it finally came out that I went to A&M.  Hilarious!  I mean, if you're going to talk trash, have some conviction about it and stand behind what you're saying.  Don't change your tune just because you find out someone in your presence is part of what you're talking trash about! 
 
Anyway.  If you're wondering why the new guy is called Mr. Snuggie, it's because a female friend of his showed up halfway through the second quarter and brought a gift for him.  What was it?
 
 
Yeah, that's a book entitled The Snuggie Sutra.  And those are cartoon characters in snuggies sharing intimate moments together on the cover.  I have no idea why Mr. Snuggie's friend gave this to him.  They are definitely platonic friends.  I didn't probe too much about what led to this gift.  If you're wondering what the content is like, this is the introduction:
 
 
At this point, I've likely lost you because you're probably either frantically searching for where you can buy this book (I'm guessing Urban Outfitters, although that is literally just a guess) or actually grabbing your keys and getting in your car because you're so excited to get a copy for yourselves.  I know, it's that good, right?
 
We actually ended up bringing The Snuggie Sutra home because Mr. Snuggie accidentally left it at the bar.  And for those of you with the dirty minds wondering if we've been getting it on snuggie-style, get your heads out of the gutter.  We have not read up on any tips for how to incorporate a snuggie into our most private of moments because, much to my chagrin, I do not have a snuggie.  Footed pajamas?  Yes.  Blankets galore? You bet.  But no snuggie (mostly b/c of the plethora of throw blankets/afghans). 
 




*Do you find yourself wondering why on earth it would be embarrassing to sing your school’s fight song? Imagine standing up (begrudgingly) and realizing some dude is going to pretend to be a Yell Leader for your group of ~60 people. Then he leads your group in a round of BTHO TU. (Can’t even believe I just typed TU.) THEN he continues leading the group in the fight song (complete with the hand gestures to keep the time)… followed by another round of BTHO Big 12. That last part was funny. Also it was a retort to the rest of the room singing, “Na na… na na na na… hey, hey, hey… goodbye” (also funny and very clever, as it had just been unofficially announced that A&M was pursuing other conference options) to all the Aggies as we were standing up and moving together for our whole production.


Comments

No response to “ ”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger