I'm All Shook Up

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

FYI- we're all safe and sound here after yesterday's earthquake drama.  In case you didn't hear, we had an earthquake on the East Coast yesterday.  Honestly, it was not that big of a deal.  I was actually excited about it because I'd always wondered what an earthquake felt like.  If you have also wondered this, the answer is that a 5.8 one feels like a lot of fast shake/vibrating.  I was in my office, which is in the basement of my building, and honestly we thought people in the suite above ours were just moving a lot of furniture.  Except when people are moving furniture, it usually doesn't last more than about 5 seconds (you hear the thud of them dropping the furniture or running into a wall and that's it).  This lasted a good deal longer.  I'm not sure how long, but long enough for discussion about what was happening while it was happening.  The weirdest part was that it just kept going but kept getting fainter and fainter.  Lucky for me, my boss is from Cali and immediately knew what to do (which is NOT run outside the building, which is what most people did, but to hide under your desk - my first instinct - or in a doorway; thanks elementary school earthquake drills!).  Then there was a lot of excitement about how we'd just had an earthquake and apparently the whole world up here went home early except the people on my team (there are deadlines to be met, people!).  That made for a truly lovely commute home- I think I made it in 13 minutes because I had the roads pretty much to myself!  Of course my mom was very alarmed; she was asking questions that made our earthquake sound like Haiti, and Haiti it was most decidedly not. 

Life is back to normal today for me and L.  We haven't felt any of the tremors and not a thing was out of place in our house (that we noticed... we recently cat-sat for Ali again so we are still occasionally finding things out of place because of her).  I can't decide if I want aftershocks to hit or not.  On one hand, yes! Because I want to be able to say, "Oh, yes, this is an earthquake," with certainty when it happens instead of like yesterday.  On the other hand, I'm so over it.  It's all over TV, it shut down a lot of Government offices and all  DC schools, and it did damage to some buildings, the capitol, the Washington monument, and the National Cathedral (just in case you haven't been watching the news).  Annoying and sad, yes?  Yes.  It also required us to cancel a JL meeting and move it to tomorrow night, which is EXTRA annoying (too much traffic in DC because the Metro was running super slow to check for problems and cars couldn't come and go because there was uncertainty about the bridges... awesome). 

Unrelated: another team at work catered lunch for my team today and they ordered fancy desserts for us in the form of a variety of mini pies.  I'm a lover of personal-sized anything, so of course I had to take a pic.  Here's my own little lemon meringue pie:



Still a bit much for one person, but cuteness abounded anyway.  This definitely makes me want to try making tiny pies now.

Comments

No response to “I'm All Shook Up”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger