Stuck on You

Monday, August 22, 2011

One of my most favorite internet finds of the summer is Pinterest (thank you, Champagne and Sprinkles, HSG, and Nolly).  If you're on Facebook (and I feel like EVERYONE must be on there now since L finally sunk so low as to join a few months back), you've probably seen countless status updates about your friends being obsessed with it and not being able to stop pinning.  It's true, it's definitely addicting, at least for the first couple of weeks you join.  L will attest that to date, countless hours of my life have been lost due to pinning crazes. 

If you're on the short bus on this one and don't yet know what it is, it's essentially a virtual bulletin board.  Doesn't sound that exciting, does it?  Well, it is.  I love seeing what everyone pins! It's also interesting to see who re-pins what you've pinned. If you're a visual person, I strongly recommend. It's literally a buffet of eye candy (with a few weirdo items thrown in from time to time on the "Everything" page). All you need to join is a Facebook or Twitter membership and an invitation from an existing member, so find a friend who's pinning and get started!  However, a word to the wise.  I follow a once-upon-a-time co-worker of mine who probably only pins once a week.  HOWEVER, every time she logs on, she starts at least 2 new boards and pins 50,000 items on each.  As a follower, this is incredibly annoying.  If you are on Pinterest, DO NOT DO THIS.  It will result in people unfollowing you because you completely take over your followers' "boards you follow" page and they will hate you, especially if the items you are pinning are weird or not interesting. 

Back on track.  My favorite things to pin and re-pin from others are interior decor shots, recipes, and sometimes clothing.  The recipes are extra awesome because not only do you get a link to the recipe, but also a photo of what the dish looks like.  Totally makes me hungry every time I log on.  It's so great!  Here are some of the different things I've tried that I've found via Pinterest:



Brown sugar and balsamic-glazed pork loin.  Just made this one last night for dinner (except I subbed a boneless pork loin for a bone-in pork shoulder and it worked well).  REALLY good.  Will definitely make this again.  If you're looking for the recipe, go here.


Salted caramel brownies.  I'm pretty sure I wrote about these before.  I didn't do the icing and they were still good.  Want the recipe?  Go here.


Sock bun curls.  Please note that unfortunately, this is not my hair.  I tried it and it really does work (I've done it five or so times now), but it takes practice to get it right.  (See the "how to" video here.)  Also, it would probably be helpful if my hair was about 2 inches or more longer.  Consequently, my hair looks like this in the morning when I wake up:


Not quite the same as the lovely brunette's hair in the video, right?  (Please disregard the heinous 6 a.m.-ness of the pic.  It's not a photogenic hour for me.)  That picture was taken about 15 seconds after I pulled my hair out of the bun and the rubber band.  Clearly it does give you a LOT of volume (honestly that picture does not even do the sock bun justice in the volume department) and the curls lasts, so it works in those aspects.  I usually end up using a wide comb to tame the volume and then I make my hair look decent by using a wide barrel curling iron. The curls last for more than 24 hours. 


Also not my head.  I've kinda pulled this off a couple times, too.  I'd do better if I was able to remove my head from my body and use both hands on it while being able to clearly see what I was doing, but that's just not possible.  If you want to know how to do this, go here.
 
So that's what I've tried so far to date.  L likes looking through the recipes I've pinned and then will tell me what looks good.  He also enjoys seeing pictures like this:
 

(Because bacon hearts = real love)


 (Because that's just funny, although I realize it could be totally fake) 

 
I have no real reason why he liked this one.  It was just so shocking and horrible that we laughed at the idea of anyone ever thinking to say that to someone.
 
So that's what I've been doing on Pinterest and I have lots more recipes to try and crafty projects to make.  If you're planning a wedding, baby and/or wedding shower, party of any kind, or trying to get ideas for literally ANYTHING (but especially party planning, decorating your house, cooking, or clothing), I totally recommend joining.  I WISH I'd had this as a resource when I was planning my wedding!  Would've been so much easier to gather ideas.
 
Now go sign up for Pinterest!  All you need is a friend who's already a member (or you can request a membership but I have no idea how long it takes for you to get the nod to join).  If you want to join, leave a message or email me and I'll send you an invitation.  
 
Oh, and on the topic of planning weddings, congrats to Nolly and Flad!!  They got engaged on Friday night and we are so, so, SO happy for them!  My one and only wish is that I'd gotten to celebrate with them in person.  Cheers to a fabulous couple!  It's so nice seeing a best friend with someone that makes her so very happy and who clearly is the light of her man's life.  We cannot WAIT to celebrate the big day with you both!
 
And in one more tidbit of unrelated news: as I write this, I'm watching Pure Country for the first time in 10-ish years.  How does anyone not love this movie?  SO great.  Reminds me of being 11 in Post Oak Point at camp and sharing headphones with my camp bff, PJR, while listening to the soundtrack as we went to sleep.  We loved the version of Heartland where George and his son both sing.  Good times, good song, good movie. 

Comments

No response to “Stuck on You”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger