You Were Always On My Mind

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Random musings from today:

I really hate it when bloggers discuss some form of competition reality TV, specifically who was kicked off the show the night before, and don't give you a spoiler alert before stating who that person was.  I watch So You Think You Can Dance and I've totally had the rug pulled out from under me a couple weeks in a row.  I get it- I don't watch it live (I hate the commercials and L has no desire to watch, but I refuse to watch it on any TV but the big one because THAT'S WHY WE HAVE HD), so there's going to be a risk and it's a free country so of course everyone should feel free to discuss whatever they want on their own blogs, but do a friend or stranger a favor and just say SPOILER ALERT before you tell me who got kicked off!!  Thank you.

There is BAD music on the radio.  Some specific selections I heard on the way home from work:
- some new Enrique Iglesias song with Pitbull, who might be one of my most hated singers EVER
- Travie McCoy, and while I don't love the song, what I dislike more is his name.  Who goes by Travie??
- Usher & Will.i.am.  I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really can't stand their collaboration, which is disappointing because I usually love Usher.  On the other hand, I'm not at all sad that the Peas are breaking up.
- Katy Perry.  She just annoys 99% of the time.  California Gurls and her recent collaborations are no exception.
- Werewolves of London is such a ridiculous song.
- It's weird to hear songs from Glee on the radio.  I love the original songs and the cast is talented, but I think- I'm not sure but I think-  I prefer to see them sing on TV and not on the radio.  It's like listening to good karaoke on the radio.  I'm just not sure how I feel about it.
- Whatever happened to Everclear?
- Ke$ha and 30/H- I don't care about your first kisses.  That song is wretched.
- I am somewhat surprised to say I think I might like Eminem's new contributions.  Never was a big fan before.  Maybe it's due in part to the fact that I love Rihanna and Paramour/Hayley Williams.  Also I'm a little embarrassed to tell you that I love singing along to Airplanes.  The lyrics are stupid but I love her voice.

Also I turned on the TV and Bethenny Getting Married? was on.  1) Why the question mark at the end?  2) Her face really freaks me out.  I think it's the excessively large lower jaw.  I can't handle it.  Had to change the channel after about 30 seconds.  Definitely don't love her.

I recently discovered a love for Say Yes to the Dress.  I don't know why I didn't find this sooner.  Like when I was engaged and looking for a dress.  Except really I always knew about it and didn't want to be that girl who was obsessed with weddings.  I love seeing the different styles but man- I have to take a break sometimes because for as much as I love the dresses, I sometimes think the show shows the worst parts of our society.  Some of the girls and some of the people the bring with them to their appointments are just so horrible- either so materialistic (people with astronomical price ranges and the parents whose motto is, "Whatever my daughter wants, she gets," OR the entourages that ignore their bride's price points and start pulling dresses way out of the original range OR the dumb girls who try on a dress that's so out of their range and then they cry when they can't buy it because of course they fell in love with the expensive dress) or not there for the bride or something else.  I don't know.  I really just want to strangle everyone that's mean to their bride, though.  A lot of the time I think it's jealousy that fuels the mean friends because they wish they were the ones trying on dresses, but sometimes it's the moms, which would be the case in the episode I'm watching right now.  This mom is just not at all supportive of her daughter's choice to purchase her dress from this boutique, and the poor bride just wants to see any kind of response from her mom, no matter what the reaction is.  Right now the mom is just completely indifferent.  Sadness.  It's easier to write off a friend's comments when they make you feel uncomfortable... I received a couple of pieces of awkward/uncomfortable advice about some things that literally would have no affect on the advice givers, but after the initial sting wore off, I was able to let the comments go because I'm pretty sure there were some other underlying feelings involved.  However, if it was my mom that was being Debbie Downer, I just don't think I could get over it so fast.  Especially since I assume that most of these moms on the show have had their own wedding days!!  I just want to hug the brides and tell them to get the dress that makes each of them feel the prettiest.  Especially the girl in this episode with the indifferent mom because she is really pretty and looks great in every dress she's tried on so far.

GOOD NEWS OF THE WEEK: 1) My father-in-law was able to rehab my computer and he was able to save EVERYTHING!!  Apparently my hard drive was bad so he got put a new one in.  Hooray for handy fathers-in-law!  2) L is making dinner tonight from scratch, which is a first in a long time.  Hooray for husbands who can cook!

Finally, happy birthday to Pink Slip Gourmet!!  Hope it's been a fab day for you!!!

Oh and PS- sorry for the lack of pictures.  That's what happens when you don't have your computer so you can't upload any pictures from your camera.  I'll try to do better and take pics with my phone moving forward.

Comments

One response to “You Were Always On My Mind”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

I love Say Yes to the Dress! I figure I have all the way up until the wedding to watch it endlessly before Ryan puts his foot down. :)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger