Rollercoaster of Love

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This weekend was kind of awesome and totally packed with activity and kind of exhausting.  Here's a recap of our adventures.

FRIDAY:  We headed off to the movies to finally see Bridesmaids.  Totes hilarious!  Loved it.  KW and MR at the end singing together = flashbacks of me and KDC in high school.  (Side note: AMC Courthouse is like stepping back into the 90s.  Seriously.  But I kind of loved it.  If you grew up in Dallas in either LH or HP, it was almost exactly like the old Glen Lakes theater, except 3 stories.  Nostalgia.)  After the movie, we headed down the street to meet an old fraternity brother of L's in Clarendon who was in town with friends to go to the U.S. Open.  It's been a while since I've been out in Clarendon, and let me tell you, some of those bars are extra meat market-feeling.  I'd forgotten how bad it is.  Also, I officially feel old when hanging out at a bar that is 85% populated by 23-year-olds.  But it was still fun.  I love any bar that has Bell's Oberon on tap!

SATURDAY:  L scored free tickets at work to Six Flags so he, G-Unit (aka, "The Cousin"), and I headed to Maryland last Saturday morning to all the roller coaster action we could handle.  This was my first experience at a non-Texas amusement park (yeah, neglected and unindulged child that I was, I never got to go to a Disney theme park - my life is so hard.  My lack of Disney theme park attendance does not sit well with father-in-law; L grew up outside L.A. and apparently the whole family had season passes to Disneyland for years when they were growing up).

Anyway, we had a good time.  We got up early and made it to the park by 10:45 and we were able to walk right on to every ride.  That, dear readers, is the way to do it!  It was great weather (sunny with a few clouds in the afternoon) and the only time when we thought we were dying was right as we pulled away from the loading dock at the Batwing ride.  (Side note: every time I heard someone say the name of that ride, all I could think of was the movie Waiting, which is hilarious, if you haven't seen it.)  The key to the Batwing is that you go through the whole thing laying down on your back, head-first.  So when you leave the covered loading dock on a sunny day, prepare to be blinded.  It was a very cool way to do a roller coaster, though!  It totally feels like you're flying during the sections where you're inverted and facing the ground.  L's and G-Unit's favorite ride was the Joker's Jinx (one of those ones that goes from 0 to a million miles per hour in like 3 seconds).  Definitely fun, especially so because none of us realized that it was going to rocket us out that fast.  Also, it was the first one we rode.  We hit up Superman twice and I have quite the fat bruise on my right shin to show for it.  Apparently I have tendency to brace myself with my feet when heading down steep hills.  I don't advise doing that.  Bruises this big hurt!  This is my one picture from the weekend:




That would be the ubiquitous drop ride that every Six Flags theme park must have.  It's called the Tower of Terror at SF America (aka, the Cliffhanger at the original Six Flags in Arlington, Superman at Fiesta Texas, etc.).  I refuse to ride this ride at any park. Why?  I loathe the feeling of dropping suddenly AND that one of these broke a few years back and managed to amputate a rider's legs.  Yes, legS.  As in, that person had two feet when the boarded the ride and left with zero because a cable snapped and whipped outward.  Also, look closely in the picture above.  Aside from seeing L and G-Unit riding the ride, you may or may not notice that only one car is up top (at least that we can see.  There might have been another one on the far side working.)  I don't trust something that only has one working car. 


We left the park around 4:15 and headed home.  We cleaned up and met friends for dinner at a randomly selected restaurant (picked solely based on their last-minute availability to seat 7) called Cure.  Cure = COMPLETE WINNER.  Loved it.  I hope it really was THAT. GOOD.  There's a small chance we might be overly excited because we had no idea what to expect before we arrived.  If you go, get the macaroni and cheese.  Might be my favorite in DC so far.

After dinner, L, G-Unit, and I headed over to Againn to meet the same frat brother from Friday night and his three buddies for drinks.  Our evening also took us by Rocket Bar and Iron Horse Tap Room.  It was G-Unit's first time in the city since he arrived and he had a good time.  Highlight from Saturday night: the food (and a story about a young employee at my sorority great grand-big sis's firm who punched a cop in the neck while inebriated at a work conference and is now banned from all Marriott properties - don't do that).  Low point (at least for G-Unit): G-Unit accidentally got locked out of his house by his landlady.  But that was cause for a slumber party at our house, so that was fun!

SUNDAY: We took G-Unit to brunch at Whitlow's.  We hadn't been there in a while and it was so yummy.  I'm pretty sure that also may have been G-Unit's first brunch experience.  The boy has much to learn and experience in this world, but to be fair, I'm pretty sure I never went to brunch or even breakfast when I was in college, either.  That was largely due to the fact that no one woke up early enough but also because it was College Station.  Not exactly the brunch mecca of the world.

All in all, a great weekend, although thoroughly exhausting.  But that's what naps were invented for, right?

Comments

No response to “Rollercoaster of Love”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger