Here comes Peter Cottontail...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

We have lots of woodland creatures in our backyard.  Black squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, the occasional deer... we've got it all in terms of annoying animals that eat flowers.  The squirrels really aren't so bad, and actually, I rather like the black ones (thanks, Canada!).  The chipmunks are also cute and tiny, but I'm pretty sure they have a den that spans the entire upper half of our backyard.  I know there are entrances by the sun porch and also off by the steps that lead down into the lower half.  I'm sure some day it'll cave in as we grill, but for now, it's fine.

Then there are the rabbits.  There's a family of them residing in the backyard (remember last year when I saw tracks in the snow?).  L saw one adult and 3 babies laying out in the grass a couple of weeks ago.  Sadly, I missed that.  Instead, I continually see the adults, usually one at a time, grazing in the clover that we refer to as our front yard.



In my mind, they're a gay couple with kids.  Jack and Peter are the parents (hello, obviously) and the kids are Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail (also for reasons obvi).  I don't know how to tell Jack and Peter apart, but let me tell you, one of them is getting QUITE nervy in his willingness to approach our front door/porch and in how close he's willing to let me get to him while I work in our flower beds out front.  For all nervy rabbits know, I might just scoop one up and make it a pet if they get close enough.  While I would make a fabulous rabbit mom (I had 2 at various points in my childhood), those bunnies don't know that.  For all they know, I could decide to go all crazy Glenn Close on them and throw one in a pot for dinner.  Not smart, Rabbit family.  Not smart at all.  STAY WAY FROM THE PEOPLE!  But do feel free to keep eating the clover.  It needs to go.  But please don't eat my impatiens or begonias.  I know you've been eyeing them.  Thanks.

Comments

No response to “Here comes Peter Cottontail...”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger