Single Ladies

Thursday, May 19, 2011


Last weekend was my first weekend flying solo in a loooooong time. Normally I dislike when L checks out for weekend trips, but this time I was excited. I had lots of things I wanted to do and a few that I needed to do but didn't want to do on a weekend when L was here because I knew they'd be best accomplished without him (for example, shopping for a bachelorette party gift).

On my list of things to do:
  • See Something Borrowed or Water for Elephants on Saturday morning (I really enjoy seeing movies by myself now for some reason.  I take this as a sign that I am old.)
  • Find aforementioned bachelorette party gift
  • Hit up either Eastern Market or Courthouse Farmers' Markets
  • Stop in at my favorite jewelry vendor before hitting up the produce
  • Weed in the front yard (if weather permits)
  • Dinner one night with my sorority big sis, her husband, and our mutual friends that they are staying with
  • Read a lot of my current book selection (Gone With the Wind - if you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend)
  • Watch lots of movies at home
  • Bake
  • Go to Target and experience the new Calypso line firsthand

It took me 3 malls and 12 stores over the course of 2 days and a combined total of roughly 9 hours of shopping to find the perfect gift, and I didn't even think I was being that picky.  I came to realize that finding lingerie for well-endowed women that is pretty and/or fun and NOT tacky or cheap is apparently not easy.  This is definitely an untapped area where someone could make millions of dollars.  ANYWAY, due to the time suck that was my shopping trip, I wasn't able to get much else done.  I did manage to check the following off my list: bake, have dinner with friends on Friday night (they were the recipients of my baking efforts), buying the bachelorette party gift, a bit of reading, a stop by Target, going to Eastern Market, and seeing my fun jewelry booth.  In my defense, it was super rainy all day Saturday and off and on on Sunday, so it wasn't a good weekend for yard work.  (Also, just a word of advice: the Target website is FULL OF LIES when it tells you that your local store has all the cutest items in the Calypso line.  Mine had 3 trees of stuff and it was the ugliest things.  Sadness and utter disappointment and frustration!)  I also managed to squeeze in a 5 hour phone call with my mom on Saturday night.  Yes, my life is so exciting at the ripe, old age of 30!  I stay in on Saturday nights sometimes and talk to my mom... for 5 hours.  L was shocked and wanted to know what in the world we talked about.  The answer: everything.  Literally, everything.  This is what happens when you live across the country from your family.

One of the things I decided to finally try while I was at Eastern Market was the fresh pasta!  I opted for butternut squash and goat cheese ravioli.  I made it for dinner on Monday night (hooray for a successful Meatless Monday) and used Giada's recipe for a brown butter and sage sauce.  It was good, but a bit too rich for either L's or my taste.  Next time I aim to try the crab ravioli and make a marinara sauce for it.  Here's a pic of our ravioli dinner:


At least it was colorful!  The green is sage and the red things are dried cranberries.  Honestly, I love that the ravioli is striped.  Different fillings have different color stripes on them.  Cute and appealing to look at!  It's a party on your plate and in your mouth.

So yeah, that was my weekend solo.  Good thing I enjoyed it while it lasted because this weekend is shaping up to be fun and games on Saturday and flight of the bumble bee on Sunday as we prepare for a Week of Parents.  That's right, we'll see 75% of our combined parents next week and they are ALL STAYING WITH US (albeit, not at the same time.  No overlapping, but no breaks in between them).  Hooray for a one bathroom house.

Comments

No response to “Single Ladies”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger