Walking On Broken Glass

Monday, January 10, 2011

L's contribution to our collection of drinkware when we got married was filled with items made solely from plastic, few of which matched and even fewer that weren't commemorating some sort of event.  There's nothing wrong with a commemorative, plastic cup, but those are what I've been referring to as "to go" cups for several years now because I don't mind not getting them back.  Consequently, among other things, L and I put glassware on our registries when we were getting married.  On our Crate and Barrel registry, we opted for Charlie highballs and double old-fashioneds


Water goblets


Oregon champagne flutes

and some wine glasses that don't matter for the moment.  In the 14 1/2 months we've been married, I/we have managed to break one piece of all of the glasses pictured above.  This is shocking to me because that the five years living on my own prior to us getting married, I never broke any glassware.  Plates?  Yes.  I think I managed to kill 2 salad plates and chip at least one more.  And a dinner plate of one of my roommates in college.  But never glassware.  You'd think I was coating everything in butter with the way I manage to break our glasses.  For example, the champagne flute that died never even got used- I was hand washing it when we first moved in and dropped it in the sink as I was rinsing off the soap.  I was thrilled.  That prompted us to get a dishwasher the following week (hooray for old houses that haven't been updated!!), although we found out that our wine glasses and champagne flutes don't fit in the top rack of our dishwasher, so we're still hand washing those.  But Mom pulled through and gave me one of those rubber mats that you put in the sink when you're washing breakables, so that's helped.  The Charlie pieces and the water goblet all met their demises due to being dropped or- even better- putting them IN THE DISHWASHER!  I don't even know how that one happened.  One second it was all in one piece, and the next it had a big chunk missing.  Weird!  One of these days I'll be making a trip to C&B and stocking up on one piece of all of our glassware.  Until then, let's hope I stop breaking stuff.

Comments

No response to “Walking On Broken Glass”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger