Read My Mind

Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm a big fan of reading.  I'm not one of those people who only reads a certain genre; fiction, non-fiction, youth (yeah, I've read all of Twilight and Harry Potter and I'm so not ashamed of it), cookbooks... I read pretty much anything.  I recently finished reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo at the suggestion of several friends.  (Yes, I was very late to the Dragon Tattoo party.)


I know several people reading this blog have read it. Was anyone else annoyed by the number of times sandwiches are mentioned in this book??? I asked the former Champagne & Sprinkles about it and she didn't notice it. I took to Google to see if anyone else in the world was as annoyed by it as I was and lo and behold, this is apparently a thing.


Depending on the search string you use, you can get anywhere from 258,000 to 1,180,000 returns.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed this!  Allegedly the word (or variations of the word) only appear 18 times in the book, but I'm skeptical.  What I do know for sure is that 99% of the time that food is mentioned, it's sandwiches.  Seriously.  I can think of two meals the main character had where he didn't eat a sandwich.  Is it so stupid to be annoyed by this?  Of course.  But once I noticed it, I couldn't turn it off. 

I'm now reading a book called Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls because my mom and I loved her memoir, Glass Castle, so much when we read it back in 2008.  Mom loaned me her copy of Glass Castle and she wasted no time giving me Half Broke Horses for Christmas.


Half Broke Horses is a prequel of sorts to Glass Castle.  So far, I'm enjoying it just as much as the first book!  Her style of writing keeps you turning the pages, especially because each chapter is short.  If you're looking for a good read, I definitely recommend Glass Castle, and I'm thinking I'll probably recommend Half Broke Horses when I'm done with it.  If you're turned off by the description on the back of the book or the dust jacket of GC, I promise, promise, promise that it's worth the read.  The author has such a shocking life story and it's truly amazing that she ended up where she is today.  Plus, you'll read the whole thing in a weekend.  It's short enough and totally a fast read.

Anyone else have any good suggestions on things I should read next??

Comments

No response to “Read My Mind”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger