Talk

Thursday, August 26, 2010

When L left for Phoenix on Monday morning (the first time, right before I locked myself out of the house), I stood in the doorway with a pang in my heart and watched him walk down the front walk to the cab that was waiting for him.  “I’ll see you in 96 hours!” he said. 

Well we now know that obviously it was only about 10 minutes later that I saw him again, but then he was off for real.  And then the wonder set it: 96 hours is 4 days.  But when would he actually be returning?  Thursday night?  Friday sometime during the workday?  I had no clue.  I’m sure many couples would get these details hammered out before the trip starts, but honestly, as much as I miss him when he’s gone, it just makes no difference to me if my options are that he might arrive home after midnight on Thursday or sometime during the day on Friday because I know what I’ll be doing during both of those times: sleeping and working.  Plus, this way it keeps the marriage fresh and exciting.

Well now I’ve figured out that he will arrive home tonight.  Just minutes after midnight.  I’ve had fun flying solo this week but I’m ready for him to come home.  Why?  Well, aside from the fact that he's my husband and I like particularly enjoy his company, take a look at my post-work activities this week:
Monday- workout and chips and homemade guac for dinner (which I argue is totally healthy because the chips were corn chips and guac is nothing but fruit and vegetables mashed together with a pinch of salt)
Tuesday- 4 ½ hour long happy hour with my favorite friend here
Wednesday- another workout, followed by bad TV and some writing
Thursday- attempted yoga (unsuccessful due to traffic and a realization that my wallet went missing); intended trips to Target, Home Depot, and Babies R Us (for the baby gifts we didn’t manage to get last weekend) that also got scrapped in favor of catching up with a dear friend whom I hadn't talked to since my wedding; and scheduling plans with friends for the weekend

Not exactly super exciting, is it?  What I've noticed this summer is that my/our life here is not exactly filled with excitement.  It wasn't always in Austin, either, but it's really become dull here.  I've been contemplating all of this in L's absence and trying to remember how I infused more life into my life when it got boring before.  Because when I lived in Austin, if I didn't have anything to do, I found something to do.  When L first moved, I felt completely lost and honestly, a bit heartbroken.  He'd picked a job over me and his friends and left us.  Even worse: prior to his move, we spent the better part of every weekend during the 6 months leading up to his move with his friends ALLTHETIME (an unwise decision in a lot of ways that resulted in a lot of frustrated discussions between me and L after he moved).  That left me with very little once L left.  So what's a girl to do in that situation?  Obviously the answer is join a kickball team, a bowling team, take sewing lessons, start a (now defunct) book club, and reinvest in my dear friends who had put up with only seeing me during the weeks for so many months.  So I've been trying to figure out what to do on similar levels here.  Part of my/our problem is not having the extensive social network that I had built in Austin (I miss all of you a LOT).  Another part of it is that we have a smaller budget for "fun" stuff because 1) we are constantly trying to save so we can buy a house at some point down the road (it's going to be a long and most likely winding road at this point), 2) we are always having to save to buy tickets to go home for Thanksgiving (just bought those tickets... all I can say is... OUCH.  But at least we're able to come home and be there the whole week) and Christmas (purchase still looming) and weddings (found a good deal today- going to try and get the day off for it tomorrow!  Fingers crossed!), and 3) our rent is just so much higher here.  It's just harder.  And don't get me wrong- we do stuff, usually together and sometimes with friends (and I realize I need to post about some of these things... all in good time), but the evites don't come in with the frequency of my days in the 512. 

This is suddenly sounding like a pity party.  That's not what my original intention was.  MY POINT: it's time to find more stuff to fill my/our free time.  Not sure what exactly that will be, but I want to make this happen.  Step 1 was getting the gym membership up and running.  Step 2 is TBD while I explore my options.  I have some ideas, but we'll see what happens. 


P.S.- Right now I'm wishing I had direct and immediate access to Guero's.  I would love me a margarita and some fajitas tonight!!

Comments

No response to “Talk”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger