I'll take you to the candy shop

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The whole episode that I'm about to write about is the result of me trying to brush my teeth on Sunday night.  I noticed it was time to change the head on my toothbrush so I pulled my old head off, threw it in the trash, went to get a fresh head out and for the life of me, I couldn't find them anywhere.  What to do, what to do....  I won't lie- the thought didn't cross my mind to pull the head out of the trash, but even if it had been the only thing in the trash with a fresh liner, it's still gross.  Cue up the "finger as a toothbrush" and the mental note that new heads were a MUST on Monday and that Target would be the place to pick them up.  I'd already pre-approved a purchase of lights for the backyard with L, so I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  (No, I don't have or need to pre-approve purchases with him, but in 6 1/2 months of marriage, I've learned that sometimes it's easier to get him onboard beforehand than explaining the seemingly random purchase afterwards if I know he's going to ask why I bought whatever the item is.)

Honestly I should never be allowed to go to Target by myself when L is out of town.  His absence is what prompted me to go get my first professional pedicure since my wedding (shudder) and then run to Target to get 4 specific items.  I left the house at 6:30 and I didn't get home to 9:30.  I fell down the Target rabbit hole HARD last night.  In Austin, I used to just walk over in an effort to prevent myself from unnecessarily spending hundreds of dollars on random stuff.  Knowing I'd have to carry everything home helped curb the impulse purchases.  Last night I had the knowledge that my trunk and back seat were very, very empty and waiting to be filled up.

All in all, I spent just under 2 hours in Target. Because OBVIOUSLY it takes that long to get toothbrush heads, a card, a picture hanging kit, and lights for the backyard. Of course I didn't stop at those items, though. I also ended up getting 2 shirts (because if you saw my closet, you'd immediately tell me that what I definitely need is more random tops, so I already know one is going to go back, preferably before L comes home), a pair of flip flops that I wanted last year but could never find in my size, a pair of flat sandals, straws, Haribo gummy bears, and I forgot about the toothbrush heads until I was already on the way home.  Thrilling.  (Rest assured that I did stop to some pick up at CVS on the way home.)  This was totally one of those trips where you walk in, look at the buggies and think, "I don't need one- I'm only going in for 4 things and one of them is a card - I can just carry it all," and then like 45 minutes later you're loaded down and just as you're ready to stagger back up to the front of the store to get one, you realize you're already there because you completed your first lap around the outer aisle of the store so you just grab a cart and start making a second lap around the store to see what you missed the first time.  Then on that second lap, you go through the inner aisles and suddenly find yourself in the clothing section and go. to. town.  And even though you know you don't really need  the tops and shoes you're casually adding to your cart, you're thinking, "It's okay- each thing is just $12.99!"  And then you finally roll up to the check-out counter and suddenly your total bill is $110.93.  But then you think, "A-HA!!  I DON'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY THIS TO HUSBAND BECAUSE I HAVE 2 GIFT CARDS!" and you wipe the sweat off your brow because it only ends up costing you $36 out of pocket.  Uh huh.  Just what I need to do on the eve of my last full day of work: blow $110.93 on stuff I don't need and can definitely live without.  Note: if I'd only bought what I'd originally intended, the bill would have been under $30, assuming I had still forgotten the toothbrush heads. 

Oh and at the end of my second lap, I saw this:


First of all, that turquoise bra is TINY.  I don't remember my training bras being that small.  I was a late bloomer so there wasn't much of a point to me wearing my first bras so I'm sure they were the same size; I just don't remember them being that little (also it looks way tinier in person but I was in a hurry because it seemed creepy to be taking pictures of tiny bras and I didn't want to get caught and questioned).  Second, I'm glad that at least now girls have the option of fun bras that look like more like the real deal.  Mine were just boring white or skin-toned and in hindsight, they just looked very "my first bra: early 90s edition."  That's not the most fun time in a kid's life, so at least now there are options to make the changes more fun.

On an unrelated note, I've been painting my toenails myself since I moved here, in part to save money but mostly because no one's been seeing my feet because it's been too chilly to wear any kind of open-toed shoes.  I finally went last night and my feet look MUCH better.  The salon was nice, too, although I must say this was the first time I've had a massage chair that not only massages your back, but also your butt and thighs as well.  I either loved it or hated it but I'm still not sure which.  I will say that I learned the lesson that those chairs are not meant to be sat in while writing letters.  Not my best handwriting*.  Aside from that, everything was great.  My one complaint is that my manicurist was a mumbler and I had absolutely no idea what she said to me the entire time.  Asking her to clarify just meant she'd say it even more quietly.  Not okay.


*Yes, I went old-school and wrote a letter to a friend.  Try it sometime.  It's way more fun to get a letter than an email.

Comments

No response to “I'll take you to the candy shop”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger