75 days and counting...

Monday, August 10, 2009

So, it's been like a week, and where are we? The seemingly endless (to me) list of to do's has been cut down a little... I knocked out one shower, the bridal portrait trial run of hair and make-up, partook in the wee pledge class reunion, and even started the wretched packing process. The fiance' and I are also making progress on places to live. Bridal portraits and another shower are coming up this weekend, so things are getting slashed right and left, or so it seems.

Completely unrelated: I took a batch of thank you notes to the post office last week, and I decided to park and take them in to the drop box inside because they'd go out sooner. I pulled in to my spot, turned off my car, and noticed that the car to my left must have a young child who frequently sits in the back seat on the passenger side. I'd be so pissed if I turned around after a long road trip and the back window looked like this:


Yes, friends, that is a window full of stickers, and yes, I felt obligated to photograph it. In case you can't tell, the round one kinda close to the top, like third down and from the right, is a moon. I couldn't figure out what any of the other ones were without feeling like I looked like I was casing the car for a break-in. I can only imagine that this happened on a long car trip and that the parents were chatting away in the front while their child sat strangely quiet and content in the backseat, because I know that if that had happened in my family, the sticker artist would have definitely been spanked as soon as that first sticker went up, thereby negating any chance to add to the collage. Also that first sticker would have come down IMMEDIATELY. My family is one in which cars are not a canvas on which to express your creativity- no bumper stickers, which we attempted to defy in high school... my sister threw a very sizeable Harley Davidson decal on the back window of our awesome '82 Century Buick (it was a 2-door- THAT'S RIGHT, A 2-DOOR BUICK SEDAN- try to contain your insane jealousy) and that came off as soon as she graduated. I didn't complain about that because while it's pretty much impossible to look or feel cool as a 16 year old driving a 14 year old car, I actually felt like the Harley sticker made me look even less cool. My sister has a certain je ne sais quois that I lack when it comes to Harley Davidson paraphernalia. I actually got to upgrade cars during high school because The Pimp (code name for the Buick) was sent to greener pastures, and I decided to declare my undying love for Dave Matthews Band and the summer camp I went to on the new wheels. Those expressions of love didn't last long (thank you, Dad and your handy dandy razor blade). Then of course came college and the obligatory college and sorority stickers, all of which lasted at least four years. The BEST sticker I ever had on my car, though, was the product of a holographic sticker war that my friend Brad and I started one summer. The stickers came from the vending machines that are right by the entrances to WalMart; we'd pick them up every time we went in. The one I ended up with was a holographic piece of cheese that said, "Who cut the cheese?!?!" For the record, he ended up with a smiley face that had a popped bubble of gum on his face that said, "Ooops!" Several other friends were victims, but the sticker on my car was by far the best. But I digress... as I stated moments ago, a sticker display like this would have meant spank-city. Or if we'd been in my best friend's car, her mom or dad would have turned around and whacked our legs with a wooden spoon. As in, the kind you cook with. I have no idea where they came up with that one, but I can say I never got the spoon. Only their kids and my sister. Let's hope the owner of this car has some Goo Gone or else they will be in a world of trouble when they get tired of the collage. I do wonder how in the world they really see out of that window. I never hang my dry cleaning on that side because it blocks my view when I change lanes. I wonder if the driver has to roll that window down to get a good view...

Comments

No response to “75 days and counting...”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger