My world is aflood. Slowly I become one with the mud.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Subtitle: I know you like to think your sink don't stank, but lean a little bit closer.  See?  Cracked pipes really smell like poo poo poo.

Okay so that title might be a bit extreme.  (Also, those are bad lyrics when taken out of context.  They definitely don't hold up 15-ish years later.)  But we really are experiencing unwanted water problems with our house.  One of the pipes leading to (or from??  Who knows) decided to up and not cooperate Wednesday night.  I was cooking away and L came in and asked why there was water on the floor.  It's not uncommon of me to spill things while cooking, so I just assumed I'd spilled a little water... until I turned around and saw the giant puddle continuing to form.  A little detective work revealed nothing wrong under the sink but an attempt to soak up the water with paper towels told us that the water was coming from underneath our ever-so-chic linoleum flooring, and let me tell you, that is exactly what we were hoping for.  Except not really.  We have a gross basement that serves as a non-climate-controlled storage room.  It's kind of gross and creepy.  It's directly under our kitchen and dining room and only accessible from the backyard.  L trekked down there and resurfaced reporting that there was water all over the place and that it wreaked of mold and mildew.  Awesome!!  Who doesn't want to deal with potentially rotten sub-flooring in their kitchen?  It's not like you use that room very often.  Totally one you can work around while the floor is fixed. 

This all means that today, he worked from home so that the plumber and salvage company (no lie- the company has "Disaster Relief" in the title, which is probably applicable in some cases but way over the top for ours) could come check out the situation.  When I called L on the way home from work, the salvage guy had ripped out the insulation in the basement and plywood (no idea where that came from- perhaps the ceiling in the basement?) and both companies made promises to return tomorrow to fix everything, so that was good.  However, what you don't want to do is walk through your front door and be slapped across the nose with the pungent odor of what I can only describe as a cross between stinky cheese and rotten eggs.  I have absolutely no idea what it is in this equation that is resulting in that smell filling our home in such an overpowering way, but it is GRODY. JODY.  So obviously that's when I started serenading L with my own little version of Outkast's "Roses" (see subtitle).  L was smart enough to open the windows in the kitchen, turn on a fan in there, and close the door, so the smell is a little less prolific now, so thank goodness for that. 

Our landlord has always loved us for some reason, and while L and I both agree that we are quite likeable and that there is lots to love about us, she always seemed a touch overzealous.  Now we think we get it... not only do we take care of the home and act quickly on any problems that arise, but we're also patient with them and we have yet to move out (despite the fact that we've had to have plumbers come out twice for the kitchen sink getting clogged, once for the tub not draining while one of my BFFs was in town visiting- hooray for one bathroom!!, a leak in the roof in our little den/office, and our unwanted pet mice).  Yes, we just might be crazy.  Truth be told, I started looking at new places last Friday after the midnight mouse incident, but L really loves the house.  Plus, moving sucks.  But the house is also old and so it's not a surprise that it has problems.  Our landlord very kindly insisted that we go out to dinner tonight on her and for us to stay in a hotel if it was too uncomfortable to stay in the house what with the sink being out of order and the odor.  We are lucky to have a nice landlord!  We took her up on dinner but we're hanging in there at the house tonight.  We wouldn't want the still-on-the-lam mouse to be lonely!

Anyway, that's been the gross excitement of THIS week.  Hopefully this will be it for a while.  I promise that if anyone comes to visit, the stink and pets will be resolved and you won't know the difference once you are here.


Now for something fun.  I decided to peruse letterpress on Etsy in an effort to find something to hang over our bed.  I didn't find anything suitable yet, but here are two pieces that I like and that also go with our unintentionally patriotic-color-schemed bedroom:


I love light blue and red together.  We have both in our bedroom.  However, despite the fact that we both love music and I think this is a fun picture, it seems a little random for the bedroom.  But I do love it.


How is a born and raised Texas girl not supposed to love this??  And this actually would match our bedroom really well.  But we already have our Texas artwork for the house:


So this would be redundant.  And again, random for a bedroom.  No dice.  My search continues.  If anyone has any suggestions for fun artwork, send them my way!

Comments

No response to “My world is aflood. Slowly I become one with the mud.”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger