I Whip My Hair Back and Forth

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yeah, I just referenced Willow Smith.  And I'm only slightly ashamed because it just fits for this post.

Finding a good hair stylist is hard no matter where you live or how long you've lived there.  I lucked out in Austin back in the day and found a great stylist on my first try due to a great recommendation from SRG (check out her blog here).  She's also how I found my colorist (for some reason, the salon where both my stylist and colorist were employed didn't allow their employees to do both cuts AND colors- they had specialties.  Which is incredibly annoying.  CHANGE YOUR WAYS, AVANT!).  I eventually switched to a different stylist for several reasons and I found him through my esthetician. 

Fast forward to living in Virginia.  I've had a time of trying to find a decent stylist that also doesn't charge astronomical prices.  In my experience, husbands appreciate wives who put effort into their appearances and they enjoy having a wife who feels good about herself.  What I have also come to realize is that husbands do not appreciate DC salon prices.  Especially when said husbands only spend $20 (including tax and tip) on their own haircuts.  I've never minded paying for good hair in the past and I still don't now, but when you're sharing money and trying to save for a future home, vacations, plane tickets to visit friends and family, etc., it makes you re-evaluate your stance when the cost of getting your hair cut and highlighted is the same as a good deal on a flight to Texas. Yeah.  There was some sticker shock there. 

I started out trying a place in Rosslyn last winter and ended up going there twice due to a special they were running.  It was fine, but nothing out of this world.  Honestly, the highlights were a little too white for me.  I'd prefer to be a darker blonde rather than change my color so much.  After that, I was able to score a cut in Austin with my old guy.  Then I tried another guy in Georgetown based on the recommendation of a friend here, and while I liked the highlights he gave me, I didn't enjoy the weird point he did with my hair in the back (basically it was cut in a v-shape) and I didn't vibe on his Frenchiness.  Kind of weirded me out.  Here's the thing: when I'm at a salon, I want to relax.  I want to use the time to pamper myself, whether it's a haircut, highlights, massage, manicure, etc.  It's my time to indulge myself.  Honestly, I could sit in the chair the entire time and not say a word and be fine just watching the stylist or manicurist work and/or reading a book or magazine.  That said, I can also happily chat lightly with my stylist, but until we have an established friendship, I don't need in-depth discussion and I don't want to feel like I'm there to entertain the stylist.  I sat down in this guy's chair and he immediately asked me what my biggest, deepest hopes and dreams were.  WTF?  Just tell me your vision of my hair and I'll gauge whether or not we are going to have an on-going relationship or a one-appointment stand.  After that, he wanted to know all about the book I'd brought with me (a biography of Harper Lee called Mockingbird, which was, sadly, so uninteresting to me that I never was able to finish it) and what a mockingbird is and who Harper Lee was and what To Kill a Mockingbird is about.  That was just too much for me.  Honestly, I think the reason I decided not to go back to him was that the conversation completely exhausted me and he just took FOREVER (like 3 hours) to finish me.  Not cool for a neighborhood where you're dealing with metered parking spots. 

Anyway.  So as of January, I'd tried 2 different places in the NoVA/DC area and managed to get cuts in Dallas and Austin several times.  But two weeks ago, I looked in the mirror and knew it was time to find another stylist to try.  I need some serious shaping and something to brighten my face up.  I started researching salons on Yelp and decided to call a salon called Kavenchy to get more details on pricing. After talking it over with the receptionist, I decided to try a junior stylist and after being placed on hold 3 times, I made an appointment for last Friday after work.  I went in and had an initial consultation with my stylist and immediately felt like things were off to a good start.  Ultimately, I left with a great cut and highlights.  I really liked it when I left and I'm still liking it 6 days later.  HOWEVER.  When I went to pay, I had a ball-park in my head of what I thought the bill might be based on the pricing schedule I'd been given on the phone.  Let's just say I was off.  By a significant amount.  Nothing that will put us in bankruptcy, but having to share with L over dinner what I'd just spent on my hair was not fun (luckily he really likes how it looks).  I'm so frustrated by this, though!  Now I feel like I can't go back because I just can't justify spending that much each time I get my hair cut, but I finally found someone I really like!  It's just like on Say Yes to the Dress when the salespeople tell brides not to try on dresses they can't afford.  You won't want to go back to anything less expensive.  I have no idea why the idiot receptionist didn't follow my request to put me on a junior stylist's schedule, but she sure didn't.  Ugh.  So irritating.  Also, what's the policy on tipping hair stylists?  Is there a standard amount?  I usually tip 20%, and that's part of why I can't afford to go see this stylist again.  Is that enough?  Not enough?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Comments

No response to “I Whip My Hair Back and Forth”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger