You're My Best Friend

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Two o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon.  Cell phone rings.  I glance at the screen to find out who's calling.  I pick up.

Me: "Samantha*!"

Samantha: "Sooooo... I like a new cd and I don't know who to tell so I called you."

Me: "Okay..."

S: "I feel like I should be embarrassed about this and I am a little bit.  I haven't told anyone about it.  I've been hiding my ipod on all the planes I've been on so that no one sitting next to me could see what I was listening to.  BUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU, I know the words to like half the songs now and they are SO. GOOD.  AHHHHHHHGGGGHHHHH  IT'S SO GOOD!"

Me: "Okayyyyyy...  You definitely have my attention.  I'm very intrigued."

S: "I mean, seriously.  It's that good.  And I know you won't judge me."

Me: "So who is it?"

S: "Heidi Montag.  Her new album is SAH GOOD!  And if you want to change your life, listen to #4 - Superficial."

Scene.
I have to say, I have some fabulous friends.  And several of these fabulous friends have (unknowingly to them) said exactly the right thing at exactly the right time this week.  Samantha continues his obsession with The Hills by investing in Heidi's latest contribution to the world (which I kind of secretly hope results in a me receiving, "To LC, Love Heidi Vol. II" because Volume I was so great and I listen to it all the time in the car)...  Babs had a date with a boy that got a little too attached after one date and turned into a bit of a stalker (a lesson to all: don't use your phone to locate people because that is just WEIRD), but all is well and he finally got the hint and disappeared to pursue greener pastures.  Babs, please start writing publicly again.  I miss it.

And finally, a big thank you goes out to Pink Slip Gourmet (one of my most favorite reads- definitely check it out). I've known Pink Slip since 1991 and she's a very cherished friend, even though we rarely see each other and haven't actively kept in touch in about 5 years. One of the things I love most about her is that every time we talk, we pick right up where we left off the last time we talked.  I've been feeling very disconnected from my friends in Texas and Pink Slip made contact at the right time on Wednesday and said exactly the right things.  Sometimes it's nice to have a friend who isn't trying to solve your problems or be a "fixer"; sometimes it's nice to just hear that someone else understands and can relate.  Again, thank you Pink Slip, and I wish I'd had the foresight to realize you were just like 3 months ahead of me on the same things.


*names have been changed to protect the innocent (Or guilty. Your call.).

Comments

No response to “You're My Best Friend”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Knocking on Wood. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger